On July 1, 2017 at about 4.30pm in Ikom, Cross River state, Nigeria Eddie was in his living room when he perceived gas smell from a neighbor’s flat and was on his way to alert them but walked into an explosion that engulfed him and his apartment. His family of six and a visiting in-law were trapped in an attempt to save a burning Eddie, while also attempting to run through the fire in same direction. They were badly burnt and were rushed to the hospital.
The neighbor and her family suffered a milder degree of burns.
The Social Welfare Department of the hospital revealed that Eddie's landlord and her son had dreamt about fire and he told all his tenants and warned them to be careful of fire.
Eddie's pastor who was at the hospital during the week narrated how Eddie called him one morning in panic about the dream he had about fire disaster in his house that wiped out his entire family. Doctors have confirmed that the in-law and one out of the two surviving daughters of Eddie are still on the danger list but the younger daughter Divine may be discharged soon.