KABUL, December 28, 2017 – According to security officials and local news agencies at least 40 people were killed another 30 wounded after an explosion rocked local news agency Sada-e-Afghan in west Kabul on Thursday.
The explosion took place around 10.30 a.m. in the Qala-e-Nazar area, Nasrat Rahimi, spokesperson for the Ministry of Interior Affairs told Efe news, adding that the victims included women and children.
According to Sada-e-Afghan news agency officials, Mr. Sayed Mushtaq Hussaini, a reporter of the agency and member of the Afghanistan Sports Journalists Association (ASJF) was also killed in the blast.
Sayed Mushtaq was a great sports journalist in the country, covering sports for the last five years, and the only one able to provide for his family.
The attack took place on Thursday during a cultural event in the area targeting two local news agencies the Awa and Sada-e-Afghan news agency and the second attack took place in front of a mosque in the same area.
Some sources have confirmed the blast was a suicide attack. Several university students were in the building at the time of attack as a conference was underway.
The spokesperson said the building where the attack took place also houses the office of the Sada-E-Afghanistan Afghan Voice news agency and a mosque.
The Islamic State had claimed responsibility for the attack.
Officials fear the fatality rate may rise.
ISIS warned journalists and media officials that they would be the target of attacks on media offices. There have already been attacks on a number of other top news and TV channels including last month’s ISIS attack on Shamshad TV and Tolo TV before that.