Bogota, April 11, 2018 - London hosted the official draw of the play-offs for the World Group in the Davis Cup, ties that will be played in September.
Argentina and Colombia, the South American teams in competition, were paired together as they meet for the first time at this stage of the competition. In the past they squared off twice in the Davis Cup with Argentina coming out top on both occasions, 5-0 in Buenos Aires in 1998 and 4-1 in Bogota in 2000.
For Colombia, the tie represents a sixth attempt to enter the group the elite group in tennis, while Argentina will play their seventh play-off. Last year the ‘Albicelestes’ lost their place in the World Group against Kazakhstan, after a sixteen-year permanence at the highest level.
Argentina will host the series, but the exact venue is still to be decided. The Argentine Tennis Federation will stage presidential elections in May.
In the last round, Argentina, with captain Daniel Orsanic, defeated Chile 3-2 on home turf; Colombia triumphed against Brazil in Barranquilla with the same scoreline.
Colombia in the Play-offs
1. 2010 Bogotá. Lost with the United States 3: 1
2. 2013 Tokyo. Lost with Japan 3: 2
3. 2014 Halifax. Lost with Canada 3: 2
4. 2015 Pereira. Lost with Japan 3: 2
5. 2017 Bogotá. Lost with Croatia 4: 1
Argentina in the Play-offs
1. 1993 Budapest. Lost with Hungary 1: 4
2. 1996 Mexico City. Lost with Mexico 2: 3
3. 1998 Buenos Aires. Lost with Slovakia 2: 3
4. 2001 Córdoba. I win to Belarus 5: 0
5. 2014 Florida. He won Israel 3: 2
6. 2017 Astana. Lost to Kazakhstan 1: 3Draw