LUXEMBOURG, January 31, 2011 - Andy Schleck was once again voted athlete of the year by the members of sportspress.lu (Association Luxembourgeoise de la Presse Sportive).
It was a real landslide victory for this year’s runner up in the Tour de France who came out ahead of his brother Frank in the polls, followed by swimmer Laurent Carnol, triathlon specialist Dirk Bockel and swimmer Raphaël Stacchiotti.
In the absence of Andy who, along with his brother Frank and the other member of Luxembourg’s new professional cycling team were away at a training course at Crans-Montana (Wallis/Switzerland), the cyclist’s parents, Gaby and John Schleck, received the trophy from the hands of sponsor Yves Biewer (Dexia).
On the ladies’ side, judoka Marie Muller took away her second trophy, while the handball players from Esch-sur-Alzette were first time winners of the team trophy.
As Marie Muller was taking part in a competition in far away Japan and China, her father Charles was handed the trophy by sponsor Gilbert Wolter (Foyer), while Christian Bock, the captain of the Esch Handball team, was rewarded by Marc Galli of Intersport.
The gala celebration, presented by
Dan Spogen and Petz Lahure, took place in the presence of a capacity audience
at the main auditorium of Casino 2000 at Mondorf-les-Bains (Luxembourg), in the
presence of (among others) Ministers Romain Schneider and Jean-Marie Halsdorf,
as well as the President of Luxembourg’s Chamber of Deputies, Laurent Mosar.
The final results
Trophy for best male athlete of the year
1. Andy Schleck (cycling) 477 points
2. Frank Schleck (cycling) 247
3. Laurent Carnol (swimming) 182
4. Dirk Bockel (triathlon) 121
5. Raphaël Stacchiotti (swimming) 100
6. Gilles Muller (tennis) 14
6. Mario Mutsch (football/soccer) 14
8. Samy Picard (basketball) 10
9. Sascha Palgen (gymnastics) 9
10. Jeff Henckels (bow and arrow) 4
Trophy for best female athlete of the year
1. Marie Muller (judo) 378 points
2. Mandy Minella (tennis) 353
3. Ni Xia Lian (table tennis) 212
4. Liz May (triathlon) 173
Challenge for best team of the year
1. Handball Esch 437 points
2. Tennis Federation Cup Team 282
3. Ladies’ national table tennis team 230
4. Men’s national volleyball team167
Prize for best upcoming athlete
Bob Jungels (cycling)
Sarah Rolko (swimming)
Special prize awarded by sportspress.lu
International Women’s Tennis Promotion (IWTP)
Association des Organisateurs du Tour de Luxembourg (AOTDL)
English translation by Jean-Pierre Thilges/Hatari Publishing