LAUSANNE, February 23, 2012-IOC President Jacques Rogge and UN Secretary-General Ban
Ki-moon will make a joint visit to the Olympic Youth Development Centre and
other community sports projects this upcoming weekend in Lusaka, Zambia.
The visit will include a tour of the Centre and meeting
athletes and officials on site. Also scheduled are a presentation of awards to
deserving individuals and partners, and a donation of sports equipment to
The Olympic Youth Development Centre, which was inaugurated
two years ago, has already helped enhance sports development in Zambia by
providing sports competitions, training facilities and community development
services covering civic education and health services.
The Lusaka pilot project is part of the IOC’s “Sport for
Hope” programme, which aims to build multi-functional sports centres in
The delegation will also visit the Fountain of Hope centre
where UNICEF is running a project focusing on the rehabilitation of street
children and out-of-school children and young people through sport. This
project is part of the “International Inspiration” programme, the official
legacy programme of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 February 2012
- IOC President Jacques Rogge
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- IOC member in Zambia, Patrick Chamunda
- President of the National Olympic Committee of Zambia, Mrs
- Zambian government officials
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
- Photo and interview opportunities will be organised during
the visit for the media attending the event.
- A selection of photos of the visit will be available
shortly after the event on Flickr.
- Video footage will be made available. Details to follow.
Media interested in covering the event/story should contact
the IOC Press Office email@example.com or call +41 21 621 6000.